Embark on a Thrilling Student Field Trip!
Treat your students to an unforgettable hands-on experience at Dark Woods' Lost Treasure Mining Co!
Ignite The Spirit Of Adventure
Book now and watch your students uncover the treasures of the past!With special group pricing and complimentary teacher admissions, this immersive experience is perfect for your next educational outing.
Mine Your Own Gemstones
Live an adventure from days gone by as you mine for crystals, gemstones, and fossils from around the world!
School Field Trips
Dark Woods’ Lost Treasure Mining Co is perfect for your next student field trip!
Let your students experience the thrill of discovery in this epic mining adventure!
Your students will have a blast engaging in hands-on learning at Louisiana’s one-of-a-kind outdoor adventure-themed mining sluice at Dark Woods Adventure Park in Natchitoches. Imagine them rolling up their sleeves and sifting through treasure bags as they learn!
They’ll uncover and identify real fossils, gemstones, and minerals from around the world, which they can take home. This affordable, interactive mining experience will not only be a fun memory but also ignite their interest in history, paleontology, geography, and geology.
Just like historical adventurers, your students will journey through time as our knowledgeable guides teach them about rock characteristics and formations while they enjoy sluicing the mine.
We’ll provide all the necessary supplies to pique their curiosity, give them a taste of adventure, and make learning truly incredible.
It’s like panning for gold!
- Water runs from a wooden water tower through a series of troughs called a sluice.
- Students pour the individually provided bags of mining “rough” into a screen tray and lower the tray into the trough of water. While sifting and shaking the tray, flowing water reveals an authentic assortment of gemstones, crystals, fossils, and more!
- After uncovering their treasure, students use the identification cards and Assay tables to accurately identify exactly what you have found with the assistance of our guides.
Just like the prospectors of old, students will get to travel backwards across the geological timeline as our guides discuss different rock
characteristics and formations.
“We love that Dark Woods offers a fun, interactive, and educational experience for our students.
People of all ages will love mining for stones and treasures and enjoy snacks and other activities. There are not a lot of places locally that offer something like this, and we love visiting!”
What is included in the mining field trip:
Each sponsored school trip must have a minimum of 15 paid students.
Complimentary admission for one teacher per 15 students is included.
The cost of the adventure tour is $8 per person and includes:
- Discussion of rock types and their formations
- Natchitoches Parish Geology education
- Mining activity with a bag of stones, fossils, and sand to wash in
- Mining Rough for each student
- Plastic bag for treasure take home
- Rock and Gem identification card
- Our facility is equipped to park multiple buses, and is handicap accessible.
Add Ons: Assorted Sodas, Baker’s Dozen Mini Donut Order, Soft Serve, Dippin Dots, assorted treats
Call Us NOW To Book Your Field Trip!
Where Is Lost Treasure Mining Co. Located?
Lost Treasure Mining Company is an attraction inside Dark Woods Adventure Park in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
We are located just 1.5 miles east of I-49 at 4343 University Parkway, just minutes from Northwestern State University, Natchitoches’ National Landmark Historic District, Ft. St. Jean Baptiste State Commemorative Are, the National Fish Hatchery and more!
Our facility is equipped to park multiple buses, and is handicap accessible.